The Puthu-Vypin beach
Before describing about Puthu-Vypin, This Gallan would like to tell a few words about its mother island, the Vypin. Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org) describes Vypin as to be the island having the highest density of population in the whole world.Another Cool Trivia for Kochi to boast of. Wikipedia also says that this 27 Km long (approx.) island was formed after a heavy flood in the year 1341.
The name ‘Puthuvypin’ :
‘Puthu’ in Malayalam means ‘New’. ‘Puthuvypin’, a combination of two words, viz., ‘Puthu’ and ‘Vypin’, means ‘New-Vypin’. The name itself suggest that it was a newly inhabited area of the Vypin island. But one may not feel that its a newly inhibited island, its been ages since people have started to live in this area.
About the beach:
- Located almost 3 Kms from the main Vypin island.
- It should be the best Surf beach that Kochi has.( but havent seen much of surfing )
- There is a lot of open area just before you reach the beach. You can find loads of people playing cricket and football in this area. ideal for you to come down, watch people playing and relax. And to play too,of course.
- There is ample space to park your vehicles. And that too, free of cost.
- Kochi Lighthouse : Very next to the beach. Its worth a climb to the top of it.
- Petrol Bunk – Almost one or two kilometers near to the beach, in the Vypin-Munambam road.
How to get there? :
For tourists from the city:
1. From the High Court Junction (near to Joy Alukkas Wedding Centre and Menaka), head towards the Goshree bridges.
2. Cross the three Goshree bridges. ( about 3.5 Kms) Simple, drive with your steering straight and steady, you’ll cross the three bridges by default
3. From the junction just after the third bridge, take a right to enter the Vypeen-Munambam road.
4. Head straight for about 1-1.5 Kms. You can see a small junction where a green board displaying ‘Puthuvypin’ will be seen towards the left hand side of the road. Now this junction is very crucial. Cos this is almost like the last point where you can buy the things that you need. Once after this junction, it will be hard to find good shops.
5. Take left from the junction and go straight. You can see beautiful mangrove trees on the way.
6. After traveling for about 2 Kms through this road, take right and go straight.
7. In another 1-2 Kms, you’ll find the Lighthouse on your left side. 100 meters from the lighthouse you’ll find the beach. And there you are.
For tourists from Aluva- paroor side:
1. Head towards the Munambam-Vypin road.
2. Take right after the ‘Santacruz higher secondary school’, Ochanthuruthu.
3. Head straight to reach the beach. Almost a Kilometers ride from the junction.
- Water Sports lovers
- Couples A perfect hide out from the rush and busy city life. A perfect hide out from your family, friends and relatives too.
- Sport lovers/Sport loving gangs – There is enough and lot of space for you to play any kind of games. Don’t worry about the ball braking your nearby uncle’s window pane. There is no building
any where in the vicinity of the open area.
- In general, its an ideal hang out spot for a person of any age group.
Negatives of the place:
- Drinking water availability near the beach is an issue. Equip yourself with a few water bottles before reaching the place.
- No much care has been put in by the government in developing the place as a touriist spot, as they have done with the Cherai or Munambam beaches.
- Since the place is not that developed, there are many lonely areas on the way to the beach. So females have to be a bit careful/cared for.
- Comparatively lesser shops near the beach. There are one or two, but very small shops which may not cater to all your needs.
- Security. Make it a point to not cross with any of the locals. ” Vadi koduthaal…Adi kittum..Sure..”
You might also like
|The Brand New island near Fort Kochi Beach Gallans, do Check out another awesome post from Shibu Jose, describing the new island formation near...||The vypin light house None in kochigallan team, spends too much time glued to the idiot box.It was about time that a bike...||Just a day in Kochi ? Gallan recommends… Now that Kochi Gallan represents the face of Kochi online, he guess its high time to help out people...||The Matsyafed Milkyway Aqua-Tourism Centre and Valappu Beach, Vypeen – Gallan Style.. If you are looking for a 'not-so-crowded' place to spend your weekend or for a full day picnic spot...|